The Saudi Thoracic Society (STS) is a non-profit, professional and scientific society for respiratory and critical care medicine. The STS is committed to the prevention and treatment of respiratory disease through research, education, patient care .The long-range goal of the STS is to decrease morbidity and mortality from respiratory disorders and life threatening acute illnesses in people of all ages. In keeping with these goals, the Saudi Thoracic Society interacts with both national and international organizations which have similar goals
- Promote the highest quality research to facilitate the discovery of new knowledge
- Collaborate with other organizations in research advocacy.
- Coordinate, develop and manage research and research training grant programs in collaboration with other organizations.
- Provide advice and direction to all agencies and organizations that fund respiratory and critical care related research.
- Increase funding for research and training as a non-profit society.
- Disseminate new scientific information through scientific meetings and publication of peer-reviewed journals.
- Translate new scientific information into patient education.
- Develop new approaches to educate professionals and other health care providers about respiratory and critical care medicine.
- Encourage and provide the highest standards of training in respiratory and critical care medicine for professionals and other health care providers.
- Encourage the highest standards for research and clinical practice worldwide.
- Facilitate the interpretation and transfer of both new research findings and existing information to the practitioner.
- Provide information and expertise in respiratory and critical care diseases to other organization and government agencies.
- Support and foster the highest quality of patient care.
- Evaluate the interrelationships between delivery of health care, health care costs and health care policy.
- Establish, review and revise guidelines for optimal patient care.
- Promote the development and application of ethical standards in patient care.
- Advise, cooperate and participate with government and non-government agencies in matters of common interest, including clinical practice and research.
- Participate in activities whose aim is to prevent lung disease, promote lung health and enhance patient care worldwide. These activities will be performed with attention to the highest ethical standards.